The ropewalk in the Charlestown Navy Yard was the last remaining naval rope factory in the United States. The ropewalk designed by Alexander Parris, began operation in 1838, when Andrew Jackson was president. It was an operating rope making factory until 1971, and closed a few years before the rest of the Navy Yard closed.
The Navy Yard Ropewalk Complex is three buildings: the ropewalk itself, a long, slender building 1,320 feet long and 42 feet wide; plus a tarring house and a hemp store house. The walls are two to three feet thick. The door and window shutters are wrought iron, and the roofs are made of copper and slate.